Sunday, April 11, 2010

April 11, 2010: East Lake Park


Saturday Leanne and some of her friends took me to East Lake Park, probably the only green space in Deyang. First we climbed the steps up to a pagoda on top of a hill. Leanne said it was 200 steps, and I don't doubt her. My legs were feeling the burn by the time we reached the top! On the way up, I got a panoramic view of Deyang and its omnipresent smog. At the top, the air was fresh and cool, and we got a lovely view of the green park.










We walked down along a path through the woods on the hill. There were tumble-down homes off the path where people live in what could best be described as Appalachian-style poverty. I don't know, however, if it could be any worse than living in some of the urban decay I have seen.
The path went down to the lake which was lined with carnival games of chance. Prizes were mainly stuffed animals of various sizes and kinds (hey, look -- a knock-off Garfield!). One of Leanne's friends gave me a big red plush heart he won tossing bean bags.
So sweet of him! There were also carnival rides like the ones that used to be set up in shopping center parking lots when I was a kid. Leanne asked me if I wanted to ride a rickety looking roller coaster. Uh, I'll pass on that! There was a rather down at the heels looking Buddhist temple next to the roller coaster. Guess you could make an offering before trying your luck on the roller coaster.
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment